Auto accidents happen all the time The State of California requires all drivers on the road to be insured, but there are situations where the driver responsible for the accident did not have auto insurance. Furthermore, in the event of a hit and run incident, you may not be able to recover anything from the other driver involved. This article will address your potential legal options if you have been involved in any of those types of scenarios.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

If you are involved in an auto accident where the other driver does not have auto insurance, it is likely that you will need to turn to your own insurance carrier to recover not only the damage to your vehicle but also for any medical costs you’ve incurred for your injuries as well as pain and suffering. This is, of course, assuming that you have uninsured motorist coverage.

Uninsured motorist insurance is an additional auto insurance coverage a person can purchase from an insurance company. Uninsured motorist coverage will protect drivers when they are involved in an accident with a motorist who does not have any auto insurance and who is also found to be at fault for the auto accident.

Uninsured motorist insurance is not required in the State of California but insurance companies should offer it. For the most part, uninsured motorist insurance will not exceed any amount that is held in the person’s standard liability coverage. However, having the additional coverage can help to cover unforeseen expenses in the aftermath of an auto accident. If you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, the additional coverage will kick in and help to cover the losses your entitled to. Uninsured motorist coverage essentially allows you to pursue a personal injury claim against your own policy as if you were pursuing a claim against a responsible driver’s insurance.

Filing a Lawsuit For the Damages

Another available option for individuals who have been involved in an auto accident with an uninsured motorist is to file a lawsuit against the other driver. In other cases, filing a lawsuit may not be an option if the uninsured motorist does not have the assets. 

Speak to a Qualified Personal Injury Attorney

If you have been involved in an auto accident with a person who left the scene or did not have insurance coverage, you may want to consider speaking to a qualified attorney who can fight for your rights. Sometimes, even speaking to your own insurance company can be challenging. A skilled attorney can help you protect your right to coverage.

The attorneys at  RM Law Group are highly skilled in the field of auto accident claims involving uninsured motorists. They are dedicated to ensuring that the rights of their clients are upheld in the aftermath of an auto accident. Filing a claim for uninsured motorists is time restricted in the State of California; consult a skilled attorney as soon as possible.